Monday, January 22, 2018

Should scientist be synonymous with statistician?

Big data, which refers to a huge number of diverse data created at a high rate, should be leveraged by scientists to gain knowledge previously inaccessible via traditional tools and techniques. The scientific field is rapidly advancing; researchers are performing increasingly difficult experiments and creating exponentially greater data sets. Complex mathematical techniques for crunching big data have been developed, but these statistical techniques are not well understood by the greater scientific community (read more here). In fact, the McKinsey group asserts that “the United States alone faces a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with analytical expertise and 1.5 million managers and analysts with the skills to understand and make decisions based on the analysis of big data" (read the full report here).  This uncertainty forces scientists to either 1) rely on outdated and often inappropriate statistical techniques, or 2) apply new statistical techniques without formal training, increasing the likelihood of errors.  
I find myself at this crossroad, searching for a third path where I can gain the statistical training I need to analyze the complex data I am generating in my laboratory. As a graduate student in the field of neuroscience, I expected my classes to adequately prepare me for everything I would encounter at the bench top. However, I have realized I need additional training in statistics and programming that goes beyond the scope of my required coursework.  This begs the question: how many of my fellow graduate students feel the same as I do? I believe that more rigorous statistical training should be required of all scientists, regardless of whether they are in the beginning stages of their training or approaching their retirement, because the future of science lies in big data. 

1 comment: